The NSS Unit in Govt. Hrangbana College was started in the year 1986 with 150 student volunteers under two Programme Officers(PO). The total strength of volunteers has gone up to 800 with 8 programme officers. Since inception, the NSS has performed a variety of functions and programmes to the community in various parts of Aizawl and other parts of Mizoram. The NSS have served as a valuable arm for the implementation of the Institutional Social Responsibility and Extension Activities.
1. Blood Donation Camp organised during the year: Organised blood donation- 300 volunteers, 143 units donated. (27th July 2015) Organised blood donation- 124 units donated. (28th January 2016) Observed World Blood Donation Day(14th June 2016), awarded second prize for 2015 for blood donation.
2. Environment-Consciousness and Tree Plantation Programme organised during the year: Plantation done at the highway roadside near Thiak village (February 2015) Anti-polythene Drive in and around the college campus. (March 2015) Observed NSS Day(24th September 2016) by weeding and repairing of old fencing at Hmuifang Road. Weeding and repairing of old fencing at Hmuifang Road.(11thMarch 2016)
3. Camp organised and attended during the year: Participated in the Winter Mega Camp at Majuli, Assam.(January 2015) Participated in the North East Youth Festival held at Kohima, Nagaland. Awarded the first prize in group singing and second prize in Folk Dance (1-5 March 2016)
4. Programmes organised to create awareness on HIV/AIDS: Orientation Programme for NSS Volunteers and Peer Educators of RRC(Red Ribbon Club)(July 2015)
5. Construction and Renovation of Public Urinals Renovation of public urinals at Mission Veng village. (Febraury 2015) Construction and Renovation of public urinals at Muthi village (Special camping on 7-13 March 2016) Special camping for construction of public urinals at Lungtan and Sailam villages during 14th-20th March, 2016 and 21st-27th March, 2016 respectively.
6. Other Programmes: Cleanliness Drive organised several times during the year (January 2015; February 2015; July 2015; October 2015) Trekking programme at Reiek Tlang and Khuangchera cave (March 2015) Legal Awareness Campaign was held at 28th October, 2015, jointly organised with BSNL, Aizawl. Observed the World Malaria Day by participating in the Malaria Marathon Race and volunteers won five prizes in the race.(25thApril2016)
The institution received the following awards of recognition for the extension activities:
1) 2nd Prize in Overall Category in Voluntary Blood Donation by MSACS 2011-12
2) 1st Prize in Voluntary Blood Donation, 2012-2013
3) 2nd Prize Voluntary Blood Donation, 2013-2014